Adolescence Education Programme
Global and Indian experiences have shown that educational interventions focused on life skills development have proven very effective in empowering adolescents to manage their Adolescent Reproductive and Sexual Health issues and concerns, including avoidance of risky behaviour. Keeping this as also the CBSE mandate in mind, AEP has been integrated to our curriculum.
Administered by the counsellors and other competent faculty, our AEP is an intervention to impart accurate and adequate knowledge about the process of growing up with a focus on reproductive and sexual health in its biological, psychological and socio-cultural dimensions, emotional health and facing challenges with necessary life skills.
Objectives Of Adolescence Education
- To ensure the integration of AE elements into the school curriculum and in teacher education courses.
- To organize activities for life skills development.
- To help students acquire authentic knowledge about Adolescent Reproductive and Sexual Health (ARSH) including HIV/AIDS and substance abuse - especially drugs.
- To inculcate in students essential life skills to develop healthy attitudes and responsible behaviour towards ARSH issues, including HIV/AIDS and substance abuse.
Major Themes/Areas Identified For Integration
- Understanding adolescence and the process of growing up.
- Promoting adolescent reproductive health.
- Preventing HIV/AIDS and STIs.
- Preventing substance abuse.
- Developing responsible and healthy lifestyle.
- Incorporation of desirable values in the entire programme.